ABOUT CALIFORNIA GREEN MEDAL SUSTAINABLE WINEGROWING LEADERSHIP AWARDS
Now in its eighth year, the California Green Medal Sustainable Winegrowing Leadership Awards provide recognition to vineyards and wineries who are leaders in implementing the Three E’s of sustainability (environment, economic and social equity). The Green Medal awards inspire others in the industry and highlight the benefits of participating in a sustainability program. It’s a great opportunity to showcase the amazing commitment many California growers and vintners have made to protecting the environment and enhancing the communities in which they live and work.
Recognizing California vineyards and wineries excelling in sustainability with four awards
Honoring the vineyard and/or winery that best demonstrates the ability to balance the “3 E’s” of sustainability, (Environmentally sound, socially Equitable and Economically viable) and excels in each of these areas.
Honoring the vineyard and/or winery that best demonstrates Environmental Stewardship through maximized environmental benefits from implementing sustainable practices.
Honoring the vineyard and/or winery that is a Good Neighbor & Employer using the most innovative practices that enhance relations with employees, neighbors and/or communities.
Honoring the vineyard and/or winery that best demonstrates Smart Business through efficiencies, cost savings and innovation from implementing sustainable practices.
The California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance and several other organizations dedicated to sustainable winegrowing — California Association of Winegrape Growers, Lodi Winegrape Commission, Napa Green, Napa Valley Vintners, Sonoma County Winegrowers, Vineyard Team and Wine Institute — have teamed up again for the 2022 California Green Medal: Sustainable Winegrowing Leadership Awards program.
- All applicants must be a California vineyard and/or winery
- All applicants must have participated in a California sustainability program within the past three years (e.g. California Green Business Program, Certified B Corp, California Sustainable Winegrowing Self-Assessment Program, Certified California Sustainable Winegrowing, Fish Friendly Farming, LandSmart®, LODI RULES for Sustainable Winegrowing, LODI RULES Self-Assessment, Napa Green, SIP Certified®, SIP Certified® Self-Assessment)
- Applicants are encouraged to focus on practices, projects or initiatives that have taken place in the past three years, with a particular emphasis on the past year.
- Previous winners must wait three years to reapply and are encouraged to apply in other award categories
RECOGNITION OF WINNERS
In addition to being recognized as a sustainability leader in the California wine industry, award winners will:
- Receive a green medal award and certificate
- Be recognized at an awards ceremony
- Receive full access to award logo to include in marketing efforts
- Be listed on presenting organizations websites and featured in award communications (widely distributed press releases, e-newsletters, social media, etc.)
- Be featured in a full-page Wine Business Monthly ad
- Be featured in video of award winners and receive a copy for your own use
- Be featured through a variety of media opportunities and at various tasting and sustainable winegrowing educational events
JUDGING PANEL FOR 2024 AWARDS
- Amy Azzolina, Social Media and Communications Manager, Wine Institute;
- Anna Brittain, Executive Director, Napa Green
- Beth Vukmanic, Executive Director, Vineyard Team
- Cyril Penn, Editor-in-Chief, Wine Business Monthly
- Evan Goldstein, MS, President, Full Circle Wine Solutions and Master the World
- InHaeng Jung, Professor, Sonoma State University Wine Business Institute
- Jennifer Richards, VP of Operations and Business Development, Sonoma County Winegrowers
- Lisa Francioni, Deputy Director, California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance
- Natalie Collins, President, California Association of Winegrape Growers
- Stephanie Bolton, Research and Education Director, Lodi Winegrape Commission
- Tonya Pitts, Wine Director, One Market Restaurant.